Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Vivian Apple at the End of the World

Coyle, Katie. Read by Julia Whelan. Vivian Apple at the End of the World. Dreamscape Media, 2015. Audiobook.
image from: www.audiobooksync.com

Summary (from audiobook overview):
"Seventeen-year-old Vivian Apple never believed in the evangelical Church of America, unlike her recently devout parents. But when Vivian returns home the night after the supposed 'Rapture,' all that's left of her parents are two holes in the roof. Suddenly, she doesn't know who or what to believe. With her best friend Harp and a mysterious ally, Peter, Vivian embarks on a desperate cross-country roadtrip through a paranoid and panic-stricken America to find answers. Because at the end of the world, Vivian Apple isn't looking for a savior. She's looking for the truth."

My Thoughts
From the prologue, this book caught my attention. As I began listening, I wondered what the publishing date was for this book. It seemed to be very timely to events of 2016.

I laughed out loud when Harp exclaims that she's spent 17 years in Pittsburgh living practically on top of each other and all this time there's this empty state out here (Wyoming). I laughed because it's true and also, I visited Wyoming last summer and listened to several audio books while driving through that state. There are parts that do seem desolate (including the sketchy place we stopped in the middle of nowhere where there was this random convenience store, but I digress.).

I listened to this book mostly in the car. While I was listening, I would chuckle or laugh out right and my family would just look at me. I'd smile, shrug my shoulders and mouth, "This book is funny."  I laughed many times.

There are several twists in the story and some predicted outcomes.  There are 22 chapters in this installment.  I will be reading the second book in the series to find out what happens to Viv, Harp and Peter as well as some other characters that are in the story (no plot spoilers here!).

I have this (printed) book in my Religious/Spiritual section in the library.  I think it fits here because after listening, there are definite elements of spiritual belief and questioning here. However, there's also a LOT of cussing (including the "f-bomb), so I may order an additional copy for the "chick lit" section. It will fit there as well. There's some romance and interpersonal relationships.

No comments: