Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Lost Saint

Bibliography
Despain, Bree. The Lost Saint: A Dark Divine Novel. New York: Egmont, 2011. Web.

My Thoughts
This is the second installment of the Grace Divine story. She is searching for her lost brother Jude and must unravel the truth behind her special abilities. The timeless questions of what is truth, who should I trust and what do I believe are addressed in the story.

There were several twists in this story that helped make the good versus evil story more plausible. Sometimes what we believe to be true isn't and those we trust shouldn't be trusted.

There are some new types of mystical animals introduced. Gelals and Akhs (pronounced like socks) are part of the Shadow Kings paranormal teen gang. I thought this part of the book was a cliche. Caleb leads a pack of "unwanted" teens to do his bidding.

I was happy to see that Despain's Christian messages were still showing through the story. She writes about Grace and Daniel being so close, yet not having sex because Grace wants to wait for marriage (Despain 283). Later in the book, Daniel proposes (giving hope to Grace while she faces insurmountable odds), so I think book three will unite them in marriage. I hope Despain doesn't get too steamy for my YA audience.

Another major character that appears in this story is Talbot. It was interesting to see how Despain tied this character to her first book. The family tree link might be contrived, but I was glad to see it (337).

Near the end of the book, we find that Daniel was black wolf and now is white (586). I'm sure this is color symbolism (I will always be an English teacher) that will explain itself in the third book. I can't wait to read it and find out what happens to the Divine Family. Dad was left out of the last part of this book, so I'm anxious to see when he surfaces again. I'm thinking he's more wolf than it appears.

No comments: