Monday, January 23, 2012

Glass

Bibliography
Hopkins, Ellen. Glass. New York: Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2007. Print.

My Thoughts
Oh my! Kristina/Bree's story continues as she spirals more and more out of control because of meth. I did learn that there are other names for meth (glitter, sugar, ice and glass) (Hopkins 145). I didn't know that the title of the book was a reference to the drug. D'uh!

I want to SCREAM at this girl, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" You are throwing your life away because of some high you get? You are making bad decisions because you can't stay sober? Your family (at least your mom and step dad) care for you more than anything,and you push them away for drugs? What about your son? How is he supposed to build a relationship with the most important person of his life when YOU AREN'T THERE? My heart aches for this girl and her mother. I imagine what I would do given the same circumstances. I'm not sure (and I hope I don't ever learn) how I would deal with this. SPOILER ALERT: I was so happy when she finally got busted and so mad to learn of her new pregnancy.

Hopkins definitely has me on this ride because I've already picked up the third book of the trilogy (entitled Fallout). I know that not everything ends happily ever after, but I hope for my sake Kristina wins the war, and Bree is put out of her life for good in the next book. I don't know how much more I can read and how much more I can connect to a fictional character. Thankfully, I am learning a something through a book instead of my own or a close family member's experiences.

Hopkins's writing is engaging and memorable. I'm not sure if I will start another of her series or not. Part of me wants to because of the realness of the material and part of me doesn't want to feed my brain anymore about sitauations that I don't live.

No comments: