Monday, December 12, 2011

Tricks

Bibliography
Hopkins, Ellen. Tricks. New York: Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2009. Print.

My Thoughts
When I began reading this book, I was a bit confused why Hopkins started a character's story, then abruptly stopped it to begin a different character's story. I began writing down a character list to help me keep straight information about each character. I'm glad I did this, and after finishing the book, I'm glad Hopkins gave us those mental breaks in between characters.

This story is fiction, but it is not fiction. What happens to all of these characters, sadly I'm sure, is happening in our world today. Teenagers are forced into situations that are not healthy, even when they begin as innocent flirtations. Then the bad decisions just spiral out of control. This is not an easy book to read in that regard. Hopkins is graphic and does not shy away from the sexual content. As a teenager, I made bad decisions (thankfully not as horrific as some of these characters). As a teacher, I've seen the results of bad decisions. As a parent, I'm fearful for my child's bad decisions. This book had me wrapped up in all three places of my life. I'm thankful that my bad decisions did not lead me to Vegas with these characters!

This book stays with the reader. The characters, images & situations that Hopkins describes are true. I wish they weren't.

I look forward to reading more of Hopkins' books.

No comments: