Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Bibliography
Collins, Suzanne. The Hunger Games. New York: Scholastic Press, 2008. Print.
Collins, Suzanne. Catching Fire. New York: Scholastic Press, 2009. Print.
Collins, Suzanne. Mockingjay. New York: Scholastic Press, 2010. Print.

My Thoughts
I liked the first book best, as it made me want more when I finished the book. After reading the second book, I was still intrigued with the story, but by the time I finished the third (really, before I finished it), I was a little bored with how the story was dragging on and not answering my questions.

Book 1: The idea of a futuristic society that requires a "game" of survival to one intrigued me. How could the Capitol think this idea was good? Oh, they used people from the twelve districts to compete instead of their own. My heart raced as Katniss and Peeta "played" in the arena. I kept reading just to find out how would they (if they did) survive? The set up story of star-crossed lovers also interested me. Would that help? Would they actually fall in love with each other? I didn't know. The ending of the book surprised me (no spoilers here).

Book 2: The story continues. I'm still caught up in the what's happening and seeing how Collins twists the story to create a third book.

Book 3: About half-way through this one, I just wanted the story to hurry and end. I know these are science fiction, but Book 3 became more sci-fi than I enjoy. I had to keep reading to learn the outcome of District 13 and the Capitol. It seemed that I slugged through and then Collins wraps it all up in the last few pages. It didn't seem true to the story.

Overall, I'm glad I read the trilogy, and perhaps if I hadn't read them all together, I wouldn't think the same about Book 3. I'm ready to watch the movie and will hope that what I imagined will be on the screen.

No comments: