Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Profiles in Fashion: Kate Spade

Bibliography
Freistadt, Margo. Profiles in Fashion: Kate Spade. Greensboro, NC: Morgan Reynolds, 2011. Print.

My Thoughts
Even though the book is barely 100 pages long, I feel like I now know more about who Kate Spade is and what her company tried to do. One thing I didn't realize is how young the Kate Spade line is (she started the company in 1993). I also didn't know that her company is now a part of the larger Liz Claiborne Inc., and she has not worked for them since mid 2007, Instead, Kate is spending time with her daughter, Bea.

This was a quick read giving a glimpse of the designer who tries to create timeless accessories instead of trendy fashions. There is a timeline in the back and photo credits, but I would have liked to see more pictures of Kate's products in the book instead of seemingly random pictures of people barely mentioned (for example, there's a mention of Kate's brother in law early in the book with an accompanying photo).

There are four more books in the series that I look forward to reading, learning more about the designers that I read about in the magazines.

No comments: