Monday, November 7, 2011

Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit

Bibliography
Quinn, Daniel. Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit. New York: Bantam, 1992. Print.

Plot Summary
A man answers a want ad: "TEACHER seeks pupil. Must have an earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person." This is the catalyst that begins our narrator's spiritual journey into learning about the Takers and the Leavers.

My Thoughts
This book was very thought-provoking. I caught myself feeling lost and, like the narrator, not understanding exactly what Ishmael was trying to elicit from his questions. I wanted Ishmael to tell me the story instead of making me figure it out for myself (and even then I'm not sure I understand everything).

As I read, I wrote down what I call "Life Truths." One such truth is "It's the journey itself that's going to change you (Quinn 39). After reading this book, my thoughts have changed. I'm not sure I can take at face value what I'm told anymore. Not to say I won't trust, but sometimes people perpetuate a lie because that's all they know.

Another truth I copied was "You never really know how you're going to handle a problem until you actually have it" (Quinn 259). That's such an obvious statement, yet sometimes I need to see it. I would like to think I know how to handle all situations, but what I'm finding in my life is that I'd like to have some "do overs" and try again.

I think this is a book I will read again in a few years and find something fresh in it. Right now, I'm still processing what I think I know from my journey through this story.

No comments: