Monday, May 6, 2013

Texas Library Association (TLA) conference

Usually I take time to post about the books I've read. However, I think I need to post this after returning from conference.

First let me say, I HAD A BLAST! This year's annual event was held in Ft. Worth. The weather was great, the hotel was near the convention center and the free (and mostly cheap) books were autographed & hauled home.

I saw and spoke with so many authors! This was the first time I attended the conference as a librarian. My interests were a little different than the previous times I've attended. I stood in many lines for my students---I recognized a name and waited to see the book cover to know, "Yep, I've got someone reading that!" I actually tried to interact with specific vendors and find out if my library needed what they were selling.

I walked and walked and walked. I even took a walking tour of downtown one morning. I learned so much about the city in that hour.

Did I mention I met authors? I heard panels of writers talking about their craft, their motives, their inspirations, their fan mail, their journeys.

So excited to attend and look forward to next year's conference in San Antonio.

The picture is Libba Bray and me...just hanging out before her panel discussion. She is HILARIOUS!

No comments: