Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tigerheart

Bibliography
David, Peter. Tigerheart. New York: Ballantine Books, 2008. Print.

My Thoughts
A friend of mine told me this was his favorite book, and he wanted to share it with me. I began reading it, quickly realizing that it was a Peter Pan kind of story. By this, I mean that there are references to the Peter Pan story (which I'm really not sure I remember so well), but the name Peter Pan is actually not mentioned. The author explains at the end of the book that he set out to write a Peter Pan story, but then "realized that it was really Paul Dear's story" so he created "pastiche versions of Peter and company" (David 297). This allowed him some flexibility with the characters and plot.

I thought this was a good fantasy story, especially for middle grade readers. The narrative voice allows for description, explanation and humor. The story teller dips in and out of the action to reassure us, divert us, and provide any necessary information that we might not otherwise have.

The title reference is on page 182.

As I read, I thought about how childhood should be a magical time (coincidentally, I read this between Thanksgiving and Christmas--the most magical time of year). I thought about how adults don't often allow themselves to be children or experience the same wonder and excitement of a child. We should. David explains the difference between adult and children. "When you are a child, there is joy. There is laughter. And most of all, there is trust. Trust in your fellows. When you are an adult...then comes suspicion, hatred and fear" (David 216). David further explains that adults mess things up, then claim children are the future. Very insightful, I thought.

I wrote down something that I think captures the book, "Everyone is the hero of his own personal story" (David 159). So true.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is this an AR book?