Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Dark Divine

Bibliography
Despain, Bree. The Dark Divine. New York: Egmont, 2010. Web.

My Thoughts
This was my first attempt at reading an e-book. As I flicked to the next page, I felt unsure if I was actually getting the entire book (What exactly does a "page" mean on a phone screen?). I liked that I could read anywhere...I always had a book with me if I had my phone.

The story itself is very YA. A young girl falls in love with a "bad boy" only to learn that she holds a special power that will allow the bad boy to be hers.

There were times when I was reading that I felt the believability of the story was forced. Did Grace actually have these experiences in such a fast timeline? The fight scene between Jude and Daniel seemed contrived. It seems like I've read this story before..oh wait, I read Twilight. Girl falls in love with werewolf. (Do we really need more werewolf stories? Is there a huge following of girls who want to fall in love with a magical creature?). Love triangle between who she is supposed to love and who she does love.

I liked the spiritualness present in the book. It is a classic good versus evil story. The mom was a flat character and the father in the story was sometimes there, sometimes not. Perhaps that's the way teens view their parents.

I will probably finish this trilogy just to see what happens to the Divine Family. I will call this "research" to recommend (or not) these books to my students.

No comments: