Friday, May 14, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Bibliography
Boyne, John. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Oxford: David Fickling, 2006.

Plot Summary
This is the story of nine-year-old Bruno and his family's "important work" in the war.

My Thoughts
I've read many things about the Holocaust, but this book was quite different. Told from a child's point of view, the reader is left making inferences about what the real story is and what actually is happening. It is a poignant account of a terrible event in history, showing that no matter what boundaries are drawn, humans are humans and can rise up to show compassion and caring. I don't want to talk much about this book because it truly is one to experience. I read it in one day because I was captivated. There is an unexpected twist in the end that still resonates with me. Terrific read!

No comments: