Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Innovator's Mindset

Bibliography
Couros, George. The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of
     Creativity. Dave Burgess, 2015.
image from: www.amazon.com



My Thoughts
George Couros came to Stephenville! I was hoping to get this book read between vacation and his visit, but I didn't get it done. However, I did finish reading this book and have made lots of notes about things I agree with and want to do as librarian and as a leader on my campus.

The book is a little over 200 pages in length. One of the things I enjoyed were the questions at the end of each chapter for me to think about what I've read or apply what I learned and how I might use this knowledge. Some things that Couros writes about, I know...it's just nice to have the reminder (or validation). I loved the whack a mole analogy in education (Couros 125)! I also liked when he wrote that "school should not be a place where answers go to die but questions come to life" (Couros 189).

The book is divided into four parts.

Part 1 of the book starts with a definition of "innovation." It is "a way of thinking that creates something new and better" (Couros 19). It's not just a buzzword (oh, how I've heard this term overused!), nor is it a "thing, task or even technology" (Couros 20). It's a way of thinking. It's a way of starting with a question, asking why we do what we do and what is best for the learner? (Couros 21).

When I saw Figure 2, I searched through my photos. I'd save a screenshot of this in August of 2015! This is how long these ideas have been swimming in my head.

I think Couros likes the number 8, as he lists several things in the book and explains what each means.
There are 8 characteristics of an Innovator's Mindset (p. 49):

  • empathetic
  • problem finders
  • risk takers
  • networked
  • observant
  • creators
  • resilient
  • reflective

There are 8 characteristics of the Innovative Leader (p. 88):

  • visionary
  • empathetic
  • models learning
  • open risk-taker
  • networked
  • observant
  • team builder
  • always focused on relationships
There are 8 things to look for in a classroom (p. 111):
  • voice
  • choice
  • time for reflection
  • opportunities for innovation
  • critical thinkers
  • problem solvers/finders
  • self-assessment
  • connected learning
I'm listing them here so I'll have them for quick reference.  

I think I could read this book every summer and see something new and relevant. 



No comments: