Monday, July 31, 2017

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Bibliography
Wilde, Oscar. The Picture of Dorian Gray.  Naxos AudioBooks, 2009. 
image from: audiobooksync.com

Summary (from Audiobooksync.com)
Oscar Wilde’s enduring masterpiece, this fable of innocence and corruption, purity and decay has become a true classic. The beautiful, narcissistic Dorian Gray, torn between the influence of cynical hedonist Lord Henry Wotton and tortured artist Basil Hallward, sells the beauty of his soul in exchange for external perfection. Ultimately, he cannot escape the disfigurement of sin. Wilde’s remarkable wit and memorable, epigrammatic lines dazzle in audiobook form!

My Thoughts
This audiobook kept me awake on the drive to Phoenix. The story is 20 chapters long. I don't think I would have kept listening (in fact, I did think about deleting the book and moving on to a different title) if I didn't have that long drive. It is a classic story, one full of those British characteristics that I loathe--but...the basic story intrigued me. The mirror in the story is the conscience. I liked the idea that as Dorian aged, the painting did not. I liked the twisted ending.  I did not like the droning on and on to say something simply. I did not like trying to keep up with the characters (there are three main ones, and the author tried to use different voices, but at times I would lose track of who was speaking--that could also be due to driving late at night).


No comments: