Sunday, March 5, 2017

SYMPHONY FOR THE CITY OF THE DEAD Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad

Bibliography
Anderson, M. T. Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad. Brilliance Audio, 2015.

image from: AudioFilemagazine.com


Summary (from AudioFile)

M.T. Anderson narrates his own extensively researched work in a gentle, emphatic tenor, simultaneously methodical and sympathetic. Although his discussion focuses on Shostakovich's personal experiences, Anderson incorporates a great deal of historical information, using primary sources and detailed accounts of events to give listeners an immersive account of one of Russia's darkest periods. With a balanced, impartial tone, Anderson recounts the daily lives of Shostakovich's friends, family, and fellow citizens amid the actions of corrupt dictators, outlining how machinations from above affected ordinary people. Anderson's use of Shostakovich's music and his thorough, direct approach as an author and narrator make this an immersive listen for music and history enthusiasts alike. K.S.B. © AudioFile 2016, Portland, Maine [Published: JANUARY 2016]



My Thoughts
This was a very interesting "read," and I enjoyed hearing the author read his own work. It seems to be well researched. It is a story that I don't know much about the history. It took me a long time to listen to the book because (1) it is long--10 parts and (2) I wasn't driving as much as usual, which is where I listen to books the most. 


  • I am thankful for listening to the Russian words. I'm not sure I'd stuck with this in print. 
  • I liked the music in the background. It seemed to bring Shostakovich's music truly to life. 
  • I loved when I heard about the librarians in Leningrad and Moscow. GO LIBRARIANS! 
  • My stomach often churned at the horror that Anderson describes of what was happening in Russia during the time of the book.
I ordered this book for our library. I think it's a part of the world's history that we (Americans) should learn. 



No comments: