Saturday, September 17, 2016

Zac & Mia

Bibliography
Betts, A. J.  Read by Kristin Condon and Nicholas Mondelli. Zac & Mia. Dreamscape Media, 2014. Audio book.
image from: http://www.audiobooksync.com/books/zac-and-mia/

Summary (from Audiobooks Sync) 
"When I was little I believed in Jesus and Santa, spontaneous combustion, and the Loch Ness monster. Now I believe in science, statistics, and antibiotics.
So says seventeen-year-old Zac Meier during a long, grueling leukemia treatment in Perth, Australia. A loud blast of Lady Gaga alerts him to the presence of Mia, the angry, not-at-all-stoic cancer patient in the room next door.
Once released, the two near-strangers can't forget each other, even as they desperately try to resume normal lives. The story of their mysterious connection drives this unflinchingly tough, tender novel told in two voices."
My Thoughts
Despite that the story is about kids (teens) with cancer, I really enjoyed listening to this book! Zac and Mia shouldn't be friends--but a stay in the hospital collides their worlds. Not everything is perfect in their relationship. Each must grow and trust each other at different times. We hear from both characters in the very popular dual narrator narrative technique. I thought the characters were very believable.

The story takes place in Australia, and there are some words that are regional (i.e., boot for car trunk).

I was glad the author included an epilogue. If the book ended without this, I would have been mad.

There is some graphic sexual content and cursing.

No comments: