Sunday, March 6, 2016

Thrive: Digging Deep, Reaching Out

Bibliography
Hall, Mark and Tim Luke. Thrive: Digging Deep, Reaching Out. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2014. Print.   
image from: www.amazon.com

My Thoughts
I love Casting Crowns! Their music reaches me, humbles me, and makes me grow as a Christian. I've had the pleasure of hearing them twice in concert--once after a Rangers game (the concert was why I wanted to go to the game on that day) and then my husband surprised me for our anniversary with a concert in Abilene. I was singing along and enjoying myself. When we left, I stopped at the souvenir booth and bought a t-shirt and CD. I saw books. Wait! What? Mark Hall wrote books? How did I not know this? I didn't buy a book that night, but I kept thinking about it, so I got on Amazon and bought this one. It's been sitting on my night stand waiting for me.

This book is not a devotional nor is it a bible study. Hall has a very friendly narrative voice. He isn't talking over my head. In fact, I think some of what he writes in the book is what I heard him actually say at both concerts. He is real--meaning he is flawed. He doesn't profess to have THE answer. He just writes about walking with God and his experiences. He challenges the reader to not just go through motions, but actually dig in to God's word and see for yourself how you can thrive. He shares stories, shares scripture and challenges the reader.  At times, I know God was talking to me through what I read.

I love the illustration of our lives should be like a large tree. The root system should be as big as what's seen. We have to dig into God's word to be planted in God's word. "When we grow roots, we dive into God's Word and prayer and learn from other believers. As we reach out, we show Jesus to people" (Hall 16). I need to work on both.

At the end of each chapter are "Points to Remember." At the end of the book is the Thrive challenge.

No comments: