Thursday, December 17, 2015

Everything, Everything

Bibliography
Yoon, Nicola. Everything, Everything. New York: Delacorte Press, 2015. Print.

image from: www.nicolayoon.com
book_cover.jpg
My Thoughts
I really enjoyed reading this book! In fact, I added it to my "books I really enjoyed" list on the homepage of this blog. This was an ARC (advanced reader copy) that I got at TLA this year. I'm happy to be reading current books instead of years after they are published.

The premise is interesting and the story throughout stays true to the premise. To me, this story could be an applied metaphor for all of our lives. There are several "ah ha" moments and things I flagged. I enjoyed studying the cover (the juxtaposition of the two words and the accompanying art work or lack of art) as I read. It made more sense.

Madeline is sick--allergic to the world to be exact. Her house is a no germ zone. She cannot leave and very few people will endure the decontamination process to enter.  Then the mysterious "new guy" moves in next door. She sees him. He sees her. They communicate through the windows. Then the emails begin. Olly is his name. He's got a funny sense of humor. I often laughed at his antics.  He sends her pictures of his school, including the "library and librarian who looks exactly as I imagine a high school librarian would, which is to say bookish and wonderful" (Yoon 155). LOVE IT!

Since Madeline can't experience life for herself, she reads. A LOT! I loved her "Life is Short Spoiler Reviews" about the books.

  • Flowers for Algernon- A is a mouse. The mouse dies.
  • Lord of the Flies-Boys are savages. (Timely reference since I just listened to this book over the summer). 
  •  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland-Beware the Queen of Hearts. She'll have your head.
  • Invisible Man-You don't exist if no one can see you. 
  • The Stranger, Waiting for Godot, Nausea-Everything is nothing.
  • The Little Prince-Love is worth everything. Everything.

This book not only blends formats (narration with email and screen shots), there are also great illustrated drawings (done by the author's husband) that supplement the story. Truly, when I finished this book, I was delighted--not that it was over but because I had experienced the story.

This is a book I will share with my teens. WARNING: There is a sex scene (you'll see how this is possible when you read it).

No comments: