Sunday, August 11, 2013

Insurgent

Bibliography
Roth, Veronica. Insurgent. New York: Katherine Tegen Books, 2012. Print.

image from: http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1325667729l/11735983.jpg



My Thoughts
This is book two of the Roth trilogy. I am just as pleased with this installment as I was the first book of the story.

Tris is learning that people are not always as they seem and situations are not necessarily right and wrong. She is forced to make tough choices and must learn to decide what to do instead of react and go into situations without being prepared. She says, "I feel like I am collecting the lessons each faction has to teach me, and storing them in my mind like a guidebook for moving through the world" (Roth 411). Yep, that's what growing up is. Each person, each situation, each "life lesson" teaches us, guides us and prepares us. Often, we don't understand at the time, but the revelation comes. As I read this book, I kept thinking of myself and the many lessons I've been taught. I also marked this statement because I thought it tied in to the same idea. "We were all placed here, for a specific purpose" (Roth 487). After finishing the book, I can see the double meaning. I do appreciate Roth's characters and writing.

As I didn't spoil much in the review of Divergent, I also don't want to give away this story. I did mark this statement, though. "I decide to keep the shirt to remind me of why I chose [_____] in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free" (Roth 418). Tris' revelation is understandable.

When some plans are being made in Chapter 38, I kept thinking of Animal Farm. It is easy to feel right when everyone agrees with you. However, just because everyone agrees doesn't make an action right.

The title reference is on page 509. "Insurgent. Noun. A person who acts in opposition to the established authority, who is not necessarily regarded as a belligerent." I wondered when I would see it. The end of the book just leads us into the third book that comes out this fall. I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT!

No comments: