Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Start Here: Doing Hard Things Right Where You Are

Bibliography
Harris, Alex, and Brett Harris. Start Here: Doing Hard Things Right Where You Are. Colorado Springs: Multomah Books, 2010. Print.

My Thoughts
Once I finished their first book, Do Hard Things, I knew I had to read this one. This is the book that allows you to see how you can begin to do hard things. I was so inspired by the stories of small things creating big change.

I marked a couple of things in this book that I found thought provoking. One is "Our goal as Christians is not to avoid getting into trouble. It's also not to try to get into trouble. Our goal is to get into the right kind of trouble" (Harris 99). This really makes sense with the example of how we should care more about what God wants and how we are drawing others to God rather than what others think. Sometimes trouble is exactly what we need.

Another thing I marked discussed how things that young people find "cool" are controlled by middle-aged advertisers who are just trying to get money and "don't just address [teens] at the level of social expectations; they dictate those expectations--and drive them lower" (Harris 101). WOW!

There is an appendix of "100 hard things" that "people like you have done" (Harris 139). I read the list and picked out a few that I could immediately do myself. I also recognized some things I've already done. I'm glad that the Harris brothers shine a light on the idea that small things can be hard and by doing them, I can still make a difference in the world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

can i borrow these books from you??? :)