Monday, October 29, 2012

Candlewax

Bibliography
Sims, C. Bailey. Candlewax. Newton, CN: Terabyte Press, 2012. Print.

My Thoughts
Normally, I don't consider myself a fantasy reader. However, I heard about this book and actually won a copy at library harvest and felt like I should read it. I enjoyed the story. I did find myself smirking and rolling my eyes a bit at the stereotypical "fantasy" elements, such as Catherine's connectedness to ancient prophets that roll into the story at convenient times.

Catherine has a beautiful necklace from her grandmother. She doesn't realize the power it has until it saves her life. She then begins her heroine's quest to find out the rest of the prophecy. The story is complete with super magical powers, talking fairrier cats, a bloody battle between two forces and a love story.

I liked that Catherine is portrayed as a strong figure with an opinion. She has other ideas for her life than what her father decided for her. She is clever and able to devise strategic plans. She does cuss twice in the book, which I think could have been omitted and keep her tough-girl character.

Sims layers the story by allowing the reader to learn of the prophecy just as Catherine learns about it. There are many levels of her enchantment. This became a bit contrived for me, but it didn't take away from the story. The magical creatures, such as trodliks, and enchanted forests are a necessary part of the story.

On page 355, a new character emerges. I think this is a layering for the second book.

Overall, I read the 366 pages because I was captured by the story and needed to go on Catherine's quest. I'm looking forward to reading the next part of the story.



No comments: