Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down

Bibliography
Jackson, Neta. The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down. Nashville, Thomas Nelson, 2004.

Plot Summary

Jodi Baxter left book one with a horrible accident--one that changed her life forever and left another person dead. The twelve women are further connected.


My Thoughts

Each book begins with a foreshadowing of an event that ties in later to the book. When I read this book's prologue, I had no idea what the true connection would be. Book Two is about forgiveness. How do we forgive those who have wronged us, deal with our human emotions, and still seek God's will? How do we forgive the sins of others when we had nothing to do with that sin? As Jackson explains (and shows throughout the book), the Christian life is "complicated and untidy" (369).

By reading this book, I also gained some insight to the Messianic Jew. The Yada Yada group rotates attending church at each other's church (which I think is a fabulous idea. How do we learn about others' beliefs if we don't seek them out to learn?). Ruth invited the group to attend "during [the] 'high holy days' this month" (127). Jodi (and I) learned much at this service.

I also think this books shows us how just one very thin line separates us--as humans, we are so much alike. It is our human trappings that create differences. One event or perception or bias can shape us, however, we are all basically the same.

I'm ready to start book three. I hope I learn more about Stu. It's time to hear from her.


No comments: