Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Shack

Bibliography
Young, Wm. Paul. The Shack. Newbury Park, CA: Windblown, 2007.

Plot Summary
Mack Phillips has endured the most horrible thing a parent could: the murder of his child. Four years after the murder, he receives a note to revisit the shack where he daughter was murdered. What he finds there changes his life forever.

My Thoughts
I appreciate Wm. Paul Young's story. There are questions that he raises and ideas that I've wondered about concerning my faith, and he offers suggestions to the answers. When I began reading the book, I was just into the story. Then I started feeling like certain passages were speaking to me. While reading this book, I watched a movie entitled Amish Grace which seemed to reinforce the idea that Young provides in the book. Another incident happened (a friend providing comforting words to another friend), and I felt like it was The Shack's message coming through again.

I noted some page numbers and put asterisks in my book when I felt God speaking to me or when I thought, "Wow! I need to read this/know this/see this again!" I'm just going to list the page numbers and let the book speak for itself. I don't want to ruin Mack's journey for someone reading the book. 143-144, 147, 150, 165, 173, 175, 176, 180, 183, 193, 199, 206, 207, 209, 225, 226.

This book has become a part of me, like many books do, but this one seems more special. I hope that I can carry out what I learned from Mack's weekend at The Shack.

No comments: