Friday, August 29, 2008

Never Let Me Go

Bibliography

Ishiguro, Kazuo. Never Let Me Go. New York: Vintage Books, 2005.


Plot Summary

Here's a novel about the future, or is it about our present? Students appear to be at a boarding school, but this is a special school for special people.


Critical Analysis

Wow! Where do I begin? At first I was not sure of what was happening in the book. I kept reading to find out. I figured out that Kathy, our narrator, was special, but I didn't realize just how so until over one hundred pages into the book.


Kathy tells us the end before the beginning and flips back and forth with time. At first, this confused me. I had many questions as I read. What are "donations"? Where are these kids? What is their purpose? What is this timeline? I kept reading and am glad I did.

This was a book in my Faith Lit. group. We had a lively discussion about what the author might be saying about cloning and history. This is a book I will have to read again (first time reading is for plot; second time is to unravel the layers).

No comments: