Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What Jackie Taught Us

Bibliography

Flaherty, Tina Santi. What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. New York, Penguin Group, 2004.


Plot Summary
This is a brief biography of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. The book includes pictures from Jackie's childhood, her family and adulthood. Each chapter title begins with the "lesson" that Jackie taught us and the text illustrates how so.


Critical Analysis

I really enjoyed reading this book and learning more about the First Lady. She was an extraordinary woman and an icon for what America can be. One thing I thought was interesting about her influence is the reference to "Camelot" with her husband's presidency. That term was not used until after his death. Since I was not alive during his presidency, I did not know this.

The author lived in the same New York apartment building as Jackie and had brief exchanges in the elevator.


One thing I really liked about this book is that the biography did not stop after John Kennedy was shot. Jackie's story continues until her death. I'm glad the author continued the story because so many books I've read about Jackie don't include her marriage to Aristotle Onassis (or there is only a brief mention of him).

I actually bought this book at the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, Texas. I read almost the entire thing on the ride back home. Jackie was an interesting lady that helped create an iconic image of the role of First Lady.



No comments: